I am obsessed with this handmade Italian diorama. It sits on my desk and I can't stop myself from peeking over at it while I 'internet'. I couldn't even tell you why. It's a vintage find from an antique shop and it's the love of my life. Maybe it's our chemistry. Maybe it's the fact that there are real seeds in the jars and one of them are pot seeds.
I often wonder about the story behind it. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but I really do. Only certain objects seduce me this way. Anyhow, this find is all mine :)
I used to make dioramas when I was younger. I wish I knew what I did with them. I went rummaging through my parents garage to look for them. No luck, but I did find a tent and a huge box of tapes! George Michael, Faith no More, Violent Femmes, Mr. Bungle, MIX TAPES, a tape of my childhood bestie and I singing remixes to songs "like row, row, row, your boat" and some free-style beats. We were like 7/8. It was both terrible and amazing. The name of our band was "Germantha". We were pretty serious about it. We developed an image: 80's hot pink, and blue with white bloomingdale's plastic bags which we cut arms and leg holes out of. Florescent yellow lace accessories. By accessories, I mean cut up strips of this..florescent yellow lace material and tied them to most our body parts; including the waist to hold up the plastic bags. We had a club house/rehearsal studio in the back of my parents house where we practiced our dance numbers and, we sat in the middle of a trinity of interestingly shaped, leaning palm trees to sing and record our songs. Maybe I'll put up our album up in my shop; that's vintage right.... ;)
Well, I just went off on a limb in the name of nostalgia. As I was saying, I'm dieing to make some dioramas again. It will be a project one day. I would probably cut out pictures and layer them in a box to create a scene, how I use to make them. I'd like to try some new stuff with wood, as well. I just remembered where I can find one; made one for a friend. I'll try to convince him to send me a picture of it so I can see it again...that is if his girlfriend didn't throw it away.
Although I am keeping my super cool little diorama that probably no one else would ever want, I just took photos of the most beautiful butterflies in glass shadowboxes for etsy and they are to DIE for. I can't believe I'm letting them go...here is one of my favorites, it's a Morpho Amathonte real butterfly:
In the shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/concept3c
I often wonder about the story behind it. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but I really do. Only certain objects seduce me this way. Anyhow, this find is all mine :)
I used to make dioramas when I was younger. I wish I knew what I did with them. I went rummaging through my parents garage to look for them. No luck, but I did find a tent and a huge box of tapes! George Michael, Faith no More, Violent Femmes, Mr. Bungle, MIX TAPES, a tape of my childhood bestie and I singing remixes to songs "like row, row, row, your boat" and some free-style beats. We were like 7/8. It was both terrible and amazing. The name of our band was "Germantha". We were pretty serious about it. We developed an image: 80's hot pink, and blue with white bloomingdale's plastic bags which we cut arms and leg holes out of. Florescent yellow lace accessories. By accessories, I mean cut up strips of this..florescent yellow lace material and tied them to most our body parts; including the waist to hold up the plastic bags. We had a club house/rehearsal studio in the back of my parents house where we practiced our dance numbers and, we sat in the middle of a trinity of interestingly shaped, leaning palm trees to sing and record our songs. Maybe I'll put up our album up in my shop; that's vintage right.... ;)
Well, I just went off on a limb in the name of nostalgia. As I was saying, I'm dieing to make some dioramas again. It will be a project one day. I would probably cut out pictures and layer them in a box to create a scene, how I use to make them. I'd like to try some new stuff with wood, as well. I just remembered where I can find one; made one for a friend. I'll try to convince him to send me a picture of it so I can see it again...that is if his girlfriend didn't throw it away.
Although I am keeping my super cool little diorama that probably no one else would ever want, I just took photos of the most beautiful butterflies in glass shadowboxes for etsy and they are to DIE for. I can't believe I'm letting them go...here is one of my favorites, it's a Morpho Amathonte real butterfly:
front
In the shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/concept3c


No comments:
Post a Comment